Undergraduate Catalog

Undergraduate Leave of Absence (LOA)

A student in good academic standing who is a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S., and who intends to stop taking courses for a period of time, may request a Leave of Absence (LOA). Immigration laws do not permit international students without permanent residency to apply for LOA status.

To initiate an LOA, students must apply through the Registrar's Office before the course withdrawal deadline of the affected semester. After the course withdrawal deadline, students with compelling and verifiable reasons (for example, medical, family, and/or financial issues) may obtain an LOA or withdraw from the university with permission of the appropriate dean, resulting in WD grades for courses in progress. Not obtaining such permission can result in the assignment of failing grades ("F") in all unfinished courses.

The length of time permitted for the LOA may not exceed three consecutive academic semesters (excluding summer). If a student is granted an LOA during a semester, that semester will count as one of the three consecutive semesters. Students should be advised that financial aid will be recalculated if the student takes a leave of absence prior to completing 60% of the semester. See the Financial Aid section of this catalog for details.

When the student is ready to return from LOA, the student must contact the LOA/WD Specialist at the Registrar's Office to initiate the process of return. Students may enroll for classes at the end of their approved leave without applying for readmission. If the three semester limit has expired, the student must apply for readmission. Once a student has taken an LOA and returned to the university, any subsequent requests for LOAs must be approved by the dean.