Graduate Catalog

Course Registration

New Students

Registration for new undergraduate students occurs during New Student Orientation (NSO) through the Office of Academic Advising. Registration for new graduate students occurs during Graduate Student Orientation (GSO) during academic department meetings.

Continuing Students

Registration for continuing undergraduate students (those without remedial English courses) and for graduate students is conducted online through the BISON Student Information System, Students who are taking remedial English courses will register with their Academic Advisor.

Continuing students are encouraged to register for courses for the following semester as soon as registration opens (in April for the following Fall semester and in November for the following Spring semester). The earlier you register, the better your course schedule is likely to be - and the better the University can plan for your needs.

Readmitted Students

Registration for readmitted students is done via the Readmission Advisor in the Academic Advising Office, SAC 2220 for undergraduates and via the Graduate Admissions, Kendall 101.

Students Returning from Leave of Absence (RLOA)

Undergraduate students must contact the LOA/WD Specialist at the Registrar's Office. Graduate students must notify their academic department, the Dean of the Graduate School, and the Registrar's Office if they plan to return from Leave of Absence (RLOA).

Course Changes: Add, Drops

Undergraduate students may add or drop a course during the first week of a semester. Courses may be dropped through Thursday of the first week of classes; courses may be added through Friday of the first week of class. No changes in registration for courses may be made after the close of the first week, except for reasons beyond the student's control. There is a $5 fee for each successful transaction during the designated add/drop period.

Graduate students may add or drop a course during the first two (2) weeks of classes. No changes in registration for courses may be made after the close of the second week, except for reasons beyond the student's control. There is a $5 fee for each successful transaction during the designated add/drop period.

Online 8-Week Session Course Changes

Gallaudet University and Online Consortium of Independent Colleges & University (OCICU) online students' add and drop period for enrolling in 8-week online session courses ends on the last day of the first week of each 8-week session. To be eligible for financial aid, students must maintain their same level of enrollment as stated below:

Enrollment Chart for Financial Aid Eligibility

Award Programs

Enrollment Status for Sessions A and B
Full-Time Three-Quarter Time Half-Time Less-Than-Half Time
Undergraduate: Undergraduate: Undergraduate: Undergraduate:
At least 12 credits 9-11 credits 6-8 credits 1-5 credits
Graduate/Professional: Graduate/Professional: Graduate/Professional: Graduate/ Professional:
At least 9 credits 8 credits 6-7 credits 1-5 credits

For the purpose of Title IV Federal Student Aid, enrollment status is determined at the end of the first add/drop period of each semester. For online courses, both 8-week sessions are together considered to be equivalent to one semester. Thus, if a student aid recipient who is registered for both sessions either (1) completes the first session, but drops a course from the second, or (2) drops a course from the first session, but goes on to complete the second session, the student may be subject to the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Return of Title IV Funds calculation. If the student's enrollment status level changes, financial aid may be prorated or reduced. Furthermore, a student in situation (2), above, must confirm in writing that he or she will return for the second session, or risk losing all Title IV funding for the semester. All students who receive financial aid and are considering dropping or withdrawing from courses are advised to consult with the financial aid office.

Course Audit

Students desiring to attend a class and participate in the class activities without earning a grade for the course and without earning credit toward a degree may audit the course. Enrollment as an auditor is permitted only after students otherwise eligible to enroll in the course on a credit basis have had an opportunity to do so.

To audit a course, the student must obtain permission from the instructor before enrolling, registering, and paying the normal tuition and fees. Decisions to audit a course and registration must be made prior to the first day of classes. Audited courses are not counted as credit courses, and grades are not included in the calculation of institutional or degree grade point averages, but are recorded as "AU" in official transcripts upon successful completion of the course, or "ANC" for unsuccessful completion, as reported by the instructor.

Repeated Courses

Undergraduate Courses: A course may be taken twice. A course taken for the third time requires approval of the department chair that oversees the course. The student's record will show grades for all courses that are repeated, but the student's cumulative GPA will reflect only the highest grade for each course repeated. A consortium course may be taken to replace a course taken at Gallaudet, provided that the department chair verifies that the consortium course is equivalent to the course at Gallaudet.

Graduate Courses: Graduate students who receive an unsatisfactory grade (e.g., C, F, or WF) in a course satisfying a program requirement, may repeat the same course with permission of the department only one time.

Course Cancellation

Gallaudet reserves the right to withdraw any course not elected by a sufficient number of students.

Study Day

Study Day is a day set aside for students to prepare and study for final exams. It is also a time for faculty to hold review sessions or office hours to be available to help students. This day typically occurs the day after the last class day of each semester. No classes or final exams will be scheduled or administered at any time on Study Day.

Final Exams

Final exams will only be offered during the official exam period, following the Final Exam Schedule distributed by the Registrar's Office. The official exam period is listed on the Academic Calendar each year. Exceptions to this policy must be in writing and have the approval of the department chair and dean.

Course Withdrawals

Procedures for course withdrawals differ for undergraduate, graduate and PST students. In the case of withdrawing from all courses, resulting in zero (0) credits, refer to either the Leave of Absence (LOA) or the University Withdrawal procedure.

Details on course withdrawals are provided under Undergraduate Policies and Graduate Policies in this catalog.

Undergraduate or graduate students withdrawing from a PST course must email or fax their written withdrawal to or or (202) 651-5987 (fax). There is no refund of tuition and fees.

Course Numbers

Undergraduate and graduate courses offered in the University are numbered as follows:

Below 100 Non-degree courses
100-199 Primarily Freshman courses
200-299 Primarily Sophomore courses
300-499 Primarily Junior and Senior courses
500-599 Courses designed for both upper division undergraduates and graduate students
600-699 Dual-listed graduate level courses
700-799 Master's level graduate courses
800-899 Doctoral level graduate courses

Double numbers separated by a hyphen (321-322) indicate a two-semester course that must ordinarily be taken in sequence.

Double numbers separated by a comma (441, 442) indicate a two-semester course that may be taken for either one semester or both semesters. Figures in parentheses following course titles show credit in semester hours.

500-Level Courses

500-level classes are open to upper division undergraduate and graduate students. They may be listed as program requirements for undergraduate or graduate programs and may be applied as electives in undergraduate or graduate programs, with permission of the department. Graduate students in 500-level classes will be expected to complete graduate-level work.

600-Level (Dual-Listed) Courses

Dual-listed courses, listed in both undergraduate and graduate catalogs, are defined as graduate level courses that are open to advanced undergraduate enrollment. Dual-listed courses carry a 600-level number in both catalogs and have the same course descriptions. Requirements are identical for graduate and undergraduate students. Dual-listed courses may be included in graduate programs.

Cross-Listed Courses

Cross-listed courses are courses that are defined at two different levels or that are defined and listed by two different programs or departments. Cross-listed courses typically meet together for class sessions and thus are scheduled at the same time and location. There are several possibilities for cross-listed courses.

  1. A course may be cross-listed as both undergraduate (400-level) and graduate (700-level) courses. Requirements may be different for students in the 400- and 700-level courses, but they will meet together for lectures and thus be scheduled as one class.
  2. A course may be cross-listed as two levels of graduate study: 700-level (master's) and 800-level (doctoral). Requirements may be different for students in the 700- and 800-level courses.
  3. A course may be cross-listed in two or more departments in order to provide an opportunity for students to collaborate and learn in an interdisciplinary environment. Cross-listing also provides a separate course number (e.g., BUS 341, PHI 341 Business Ethnics), so that student transcript indicate the discipline in which the student majored. Cross-listed courses appear in listings for each program with a notation that they are cross-listed.
  4. An undergraduate or graduate course may be cross-listed with a PST prefixed course in order to provide educational opportunities for non-degree seeking students. The requirements for the PST section will be defined by the undergraduate or graduate section.