Graduate Catalog

International Student Graduate Admission Requirements

Application Requirements for Degree-Seeking International Students

  • Applicants from countries where B.A.-level training is available in the area for which application is being made to Gallaudet should have a bachelor's degree to be considered for admission. In addition, applicants must meet the admission requirements stated previously.
  • Applicants from countries where no bachelor's level training is available in the fields applied for should have completed postsecondary training that would qualify them for professional employment or advanced study in their own countries. In addition, applicants must meet the admission requirements stated previously.
  • Prospective students from countries that do not have B.A.-level training in their fields must have completed the highest level training available in their countries.
  • Educational qualifications that allow individuals to teach in their countries will be considered and reviewed by the appropriate departments and/or the Office of the Dean of the Graduate School.
  • Competence in the English language must be demonstrated on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) examination. The TOEFL is not required for applicants from English-speaking countries. Other exceptions to the exam may be considered on an individual basis. We also accept IETS.
  • Acceptable evaluation agencies for foreign transcripts:


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the federal government requires that all graduate students in the United States on student visas be full-time students (taking at least nine graduate credits per semester) and that they make satisfactory progress toward their academic goals. United States immigration regulations require that international students accepted for study at Gallaudet provide evidence of adequate financial support. The Immigration Form I-20 or DS-2019 will not be released without sufficient financial certification.

Admission as a Graduate Special Student for International Students

International applicants are defined as applicants who are neither a United States citizen nor a Permanent Resident of the United States. Admission as a graduate special student is available to international applicants in two ways. First, international applicants who wish to take a course(s) on campus or to take an extension course in the United States, and who will be physically present for the classes, must hold an appropriate visa, F-1 or J-1, during the semester the course is taken. Second, an international applicant who is not residing in the United States and who wishes to take only on-line courses from a department within Gallaudet University will be permitted graduate special student status without visa restrictions. In both cases, all other Gallaudet restrictions apply, including the tuition surcharge for international students.

Applicants with transcripts from foreign institutions must submit their transcripts in English and must have their GPA converted to U.S. standards. Helpful information about calculating a GPA on the U.S. system can be found on the World Education Services (WES) website: WES also provides an iGPA Calculator: for students, for a nominal fee, to instantly convert and calculate your GPA.

International Special Scholar Programs

The International Special Scholar Program is designed for international school personnel, researchers, professionals, and students from other countries who are not pursuing and who do not desire to pursue an academic degree program at Gallaudet University. The program is individually designed to meet the needs of each scholar, allowing participants to audit courses, gain practical experience by being exposed to what is happening at Gallaudet, and visit schools, organizations, and agencies. There are great opportunities to do intensive data collection and acquire specific information and skills relating to deafness. This is a one- or two-semester, non-degree program.

If you are interested in applying for this program, please contact the Research Support and International Affairs at (202) 651-5815 Voice or (202) 448-6954 via facsimile.